The No Nonsense Phonics Skills programme provides a comprehensive step-by-step method for teaching reading, handwriting and spelling. Author Debbie Hepplewhite guides the teacher and the learner through a series of carefully designed routines to master the complex English Alphabetic Code.
The programme is suitable for mainstream class teaching, targeted support or intervention – and whether English is the mother tongue or new or additional language. The resources and guidance are underpinned by the international research on reading and leading-edge practice and experience, for example: The ‘Five Pillars of Literacy’, the ‘Simple View of Reading’ and the ‘Two-pronged systematic and incidental phonics teaching and learning’ approach.
[read more=”Click here to Read More (and view a video of the programme in use)” less=”Read Less”]
Feedback following a 2-day consultancy & training event at a very big primary school where Debbie introduced the No Nonsense Phonics Skills materials to the staff:
“The difference is amazing. So, 6 weeks after you first visited – there are some incredible things happening at our school. We have seen children make phenomenal progress – the Say the Sounds sheets – say it all. For some children it is like a switch has been flicked. I think you would enjoy seeing how the Teaching Assistants are using the Intervention boxes – we have three – they use the teacher books as a reference document, interventions are specific and targeted at the children’s “gaps”. It has become a treasured resource. There is still a way to go and we are finding our feet, trying things out and consistency is not there yet, we might need to have a staff Skype or “Ask Debbie” session and we will definitely need you to come back and help us improve on what we have begun, but you have made a difference in such a short time. Child H today was working with a TA; He has been to 4 schools, loves school and learning, but he has struggled with reading and writing in the past. There were lots of gaps when we first looked at our Say the Sounds assessment (Sept 2016). The gaps have disappeared! H is writing and reading with confidence. H is one of many.”
Each Pupil Book (Books 1 to 9) is rich in content, providing phonics instruction and exercises (print-to-sound for reading, and sound-to-print for spelling) with cumulative alphabetic code (letter/s-sound correspondences), and cumulative words and meaningful texts. Learners develop their language comprehension and build up their knowledge of new vocabulary and spelling word banks. High-frequency words, tricky words and additional letter/s-sound correspondences are drip-fed into the teaching and learning sequence. Mini Stories throughout the books bring all the different strands of the programme together.
The No Nonsense Phonics Skills programme:
– Provides the ‘overview’ of the complex English Alphabetic Code whilst building up the code in steps via cumulative Alphabetic Code Charts, with guidance for adults, in the front of each Pupil Book
– Provides the overview of the Alphabet and teaches capital letters along with lower case letters ‘as code for’ the same sounds
– Provides systematic and rigorous phonics teaching and practice with a rich vocabulary – with incidental phonics teaching as required
– Teaches handwriting linked to both the English Alphabetic Code and the Alphabet
– Applies and extends phonics to reading and writing cumulative text, developing language comprehension and evoking imagination – the learner is the illustrator
– Involves and engages the learner fully and routinely in self-annotating and formative assessment
– Enables ample revision and repeat reading as required and ongoing marking and monitoring that is tangible to everyone
– Informs parents/carers/support staff and promotes ‘working in partnership’ as appropriate
No Nonsense Phonics Skills in Action with a Year One class (5 – 6 years old)!